Saturday, February 16, 2008

Converting a PuTTY key for SecureCRT

I've been using PuTTY for many years and I'm quite happy with it. Since I'm pursuing CCIE and CCIE lab is using SecureCRT, so I decide to switch to SecureCRT to familiarize with it.

The very first challenge is to convert my key pairs generated by PuTTYGen for SecureCRT use. Not as straight forward as I think...... Here are the steps:

1. Use PuTTYGen to load your existing private keys
2. Use "Conversions" to export private key in OpenSSH format named identity
3. Export your public key named identity.pub
4. Put both files in the same folder

Then Start your SecureCRT
1. Choose QuickConnect
2. Protocol = SSH2, and enter the hostname or ip address
3. Under the "Authentication" session, Only checked "PublicKey"
4. Click "Properties" at the right pane
5. Choose "Use Global public key setting"
6. Under "Use identity or certificate file" and choose your identity.pub and click ok.
7. Enter your passphrase and get connected!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've spend hours of trying to import OpenSSH keys into SecureCRT and finally it works.Thanks for the perfect instructions!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this, very helpful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this. I've been trying to get this to work for ages

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much,
Very helpful.

Anonymous said...

I have tried your given steps but it doesn't ask for passphrase.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, you helped me a lot!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! You helped me a lot.

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

I was banging my head into a wall before I stumbled upon your blog. Thank you so much, you are a life saver!

Unknown said...

trying to make this work for couple of hours and all went in vain until I stumbled upon your blog..Thanks so much mate!

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot mate!!