My environment: RH FC8 X86_64
MySQL server version: mysql-server-5.0.45-6.fc8
Just hit a problem that takes me several hours to get it solve. The symptom is extremely slow performance when connecting the database remotely either via JDBC connection from my JSP page or using MySQL front GUI.
After hours and hours of troubleshooting, I’ve found out the MySQL server need some sort of DNS lookup when an external client attempts to connect to it, and in my demo environment unfortunately the name server is down.
The trick is to comment the name server entry in /etc/resolv.conf. After I did that, it resumes to normal!